May 27, 2008

Lou Reed & a plane crash

Oh yeah, come on, call me a mythomaniac if you like, but yesterday, I swear I saw Lou Reed on the train platform in Liège while I was rushing by on the Thalys train. He was at the end of the platform- probably to avoid being molested. I know he's around here with Laurie Anderson. She gave a concert in Aachen last week, but I preferred to go and see my friends, the infamous Nazi Dogs (they're not nazis, just one of the finest punkrock acts around and our rehearsal room neighbours). But damn, I wished I could have jumped off the train. I'm usually not a fan type but Lou Reed always seemed like a nice person to meet.

Anyway that was only the journey there. On the return, from the trian window, I first saw an empty police van that was strangely positioned, then the cops who were all unbelievingly staring in the same direction. The some guys with brown and grey suits who seemed to walk aimlessly in a field- large sunglasses typical FBI or CIA type, at least in movies. Then spectators, journalists, a sports event? And finally this:


...a...plane...crash...


Yeah and this time, I've even got some fotos to underline that I'm not a complete mythomaniac.

Obviously, due to an old runway that was 500m shorter than the usual runway, that US supply plane on its way to Arabia didn't get enough thrust and crashed, leaving two pilots traumatized but safe. What a mess, but at the same time what strange beauty, especially in the evening light.

3 comments:

Susan Rudat said...

This is wild! First of all...how could you pass up a Laurie Anderson concer?!?! I have travelled many miles to see her performances (a trip to NYC just for the performance).

And the plane crash...WOW! Great shots of this plane.

Your adventure sounds like a Laurie Anderson song!

mat said...

Yeah, I know...I mean actually, I don't know. I was torn between Laurie Anderson and some friends who were playing the same day and to whom I had promised to come and see them. As it turned out, I could have done both as their concert started shortly after Laurie's. But how was I to know :(

Susan Rudat said...

Okay, you are forgiven. Friends should come first.